For the social media savvy, use your email to let people follow you on the Social Web by adding your social media channels in your email signature.
For Apple Mail:
Step 1. Gather your favorite social media icons
1. Search for your favorite icons on the web and download them to your computer.
2. Upload the icon files to a photo-sharing/storage server on the web such as Photobucket.
Step 2. Add a Temporary Signature in Apple Mail
1. Go to Apple Mail’s Preferences -> Signatures
2. Click on (+) to add a temporary signature (e.g. Temp).
3. Drag the temporary signature (Temp) to the email account where you will likely use it.
Step 3. Creat your HTML signature
1. Open Textedit or Textmate and use the following code as template (making sure to replace the href and src with your own links):
href is the URL link of your social network site.
src is the link to the specific social media icon you uploaded on your photo-sharing site (e.g. Photobucket).
2. Save the file as .html.
Step 4. Create a WEBARCHIVE file to replace your temporary email signature.
1. Open the HTML file in Safari.
2. Click Save As… and replace the latest .webarchive (temporary signature) file in your Home folder -> Library -> Mail -> Signatures.
Step 5. Restart Apple Mail
Check by creating a New Message. You should be able to select the signature from the drop-down menu on the corresponding email address.
For Windows and Outlook users, follow the instructions here and use the sample code above for your HTML signature file (I haven’t tested this but I think it should work).