- This tutorial is for those who already have a jailbroken iPhone OS 3.0 and upgrading to iPhone OS 3.1.
- If you have the first generation iPhone (2G), you can use this tutorial to jailbreak and unlock your phone.
- If you have an iPhone 3G, you can use this guide to jailbreak only. Then use Ultrasn0w to unlock.
- The PwnageTool 3.1 that will be used is currently available for the Mac OS X only
- PwnageTool 3.1 will not work on an iPhone 3GS or a 2G/3G iPod Touch.
Make sure you have the following:
Tip: Use Firefox to download the iPhone Firmware 3.1 instead of Safari to prevent an automatic unzip of the IPSW file.
Launch PwnageTool_3.1.dmg and then copy PwnageTool.app to your desired folder. Also, extract bootloader files to the same folder. Download the appropriate IPSW file (for 2G or 3G) to the same folder too.
Connect your iPhone to your Mac. Make sure iTunes is closed.
Upgrading Your iPhone OS 3.0 to 3.1 Using PwnageTool 3.1
- Run the PwnageTool app
- Use the default Simple mode and select iPhone 2G or iPhone 3G depending on your phone. Click the arrow button below to continue.
- The PwnageTool will browse for the IPSW file you downloaded. Select it and click on the next arrow.
- Select Yes to create an .ipsw file.
- Select No if you would need to unlock your iPhone.
- PwnageTool will now build your custom .ipsw file.
- Enter your Mac OS X user account password.
- Select Yes since you already have a jailbroken iPhone 3.0.
- Click OK.
- You have now created a Custom Restore IPSW file (iPhone1,1_3.1_7C144_Custom_Restore.ipsw).
- Close PwnageTool.
Place your iPhone in Recovery Mode:
- Disconnect your iPhone from your Mac and switch your iPhone off.
- Hold the Home button (do not release) and connect back your iPhone to your Mac. Keep holding the Home button until you see a dock cable pointing to the iTunes icon or a caricature of Steve Jobs.
- iTunes will now open and detect your iPhone in Restore mode.
- Press and hold the Alt/Option key on your Mac and click on the Restore button in iTunes. Browse for the Custom IPSW Firmware and select it.
- iTunes will now load the custom firmware to your iPhone. Let the process continue until it’s done.
- When it’s done, sync back all your data from iTunes.
Note: If you have apps from Installous, you need to install the AppSync for OS 3.1 from Cydia (source: http://cydia.hackulo.us) in order to sync back those apps from iTunes to your iPhone.