Still having problems with Installous? Install Installous v3.1!

by Eric Pena on May 6, 2010

Installous 3.1

Update 2: Latest is Installous 3.1.10. Make sure you’re on iPhone OS 3.0 and up. You may get some error messages during the installation of Installous but just ignore. If you have problems installing an app, try setting the Native Installation “ON” or “OFF” and install again.

Update: Installous 3.1.2 has been released to Cydia. Check out also what to do with the “Failed to download (null)” error.

It’s been a while since I did some tweaks on my iPhone since everything seems to be working smoothly and I have been caught up with some other tasks that needed more attention. I have managed to stay away from iPhone OS 3.1.3, preserving 3.1.2 in all its functioning glory.

Your iPhone needs to have a firmware that is at least 3.1 in order to install Installous v3.1.

What caught my attention though is the unusual hits my last article on Installous is getting… displacing my Hackintosh articles at the top of the pageview chart. So I did a little investigation and found out that many are still having problems installing installous, not to mention the rapid growth of iPhone, iPodTouch and iPad users who decided to jailbreak their devices and take advantage of the great Cydia apps.

Many things have changed since my last article on Installous; the main one being Appulous, the site that provides a list of crack apps and links where to download them, has been changed to AppTrackr. The good thing though is that the change is transparent to users where the only thing required is an update of the Installous app from Cydia.

Upgrade your old Installous to version 3.1

If you don’t have any old version of Installous on your iPhone, please scroll at the end to learn how to install it.

Here, it shows that I still have the old Installous v2.0.4.

A quick scan for changes in Cydia shows I have four essential upgrades. Do those upgrades first by tapping on “Upgrade Essential”, after which, tap on the “Confirm” button.

Your iPhone will reboot so the changes you made will take effect. Now, go back to Cydia which will automatically scan for the other available upgrades. If you have an old Installous app installed like I did, it will include it in the list. Tap on it and it will prompt you to install the latest Installous version (3.1). Click OK to install.

Once installed, your iPhone will again reboot. Tap on the Installous icon on your screen to launch it. Test by downloading an app. Install and run the app. If it works, pat yourself on the back and smile.

If you do not have Installous yet, follow these steps:

1. Add http://cydia.hackulo.us/ to your Cydia sources list on your iDevice.
  2. Search for Installous.
  3. Install!

If you haven’t already installed an app on your iPhone from the Apple App Store (a free app will do), install one now.

Open Installous and Download an app. Install only after downloading. Check to make sure the app is working.

To sync cracked apps to iTunes, install AppSync for OS 3.x from Cydia. Reboot.

A note from the Installous developers:

• Installous is relatively stable, but there are a couple caveats which you must take note of.
  • Native Installation has a small bug in which installations report completion a little early on older devices (iPhone 2G, iPod 2G, etc.). More specifically, older processors. We’re not entirely sure why yet, and it’s the reason why were we absurdly delayed in the public release. It is the default installation option, since most of our users are on newer devices. But if you’re on an older device and you’re installing a huge app, we suggest changing to bash installation in the settings tab by turning off native installation.
  • AppSync is required for this. Either 3.0, 3.1, 3.2, or 4.0 (which doesn’t exist yet, but still).
  • It seems like the first time some people run it, it will not connect to apptrackr properly or something. Restart springboard or your entire device, and the problem shouldn’t persist. We’ll figure out what’s wrong later.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

{ 49 comments… read them below or add one }

1 fcox May 7, 2010 at 2:08 am

I already upgrade installous but when i open the app it crahs :( maybe is because i have 3.0 firmware i apreciate if u can help me :)

2 kgreat May 7, 2010 at 2:29 am

@ fcox: I too have the same problem. Let me know how to roll it back to 2.0.4 version.

3 ifone3GSuser May 9, 2010 at 6:58 pm

3.1.3 iphone 3gs Jbreak , while installing installous 3.1 and before the end it gives me an error “size mismatch” any idea how to fix that , thanks

4 shakeebahmed May 10, 2010 at 6:07 am

Same problem as above but using iPod 2g and 3.1.2 jailbroken. Had installous 2.04 removed it now but can't install the new 3.1
any solutions will be highly appreciated

5 krusder May 10, 2010 at 1:26 pm

Hey, just updated to new installous when i find the app that i want go into downloading it, it starts but comes with an error ( failed to download (null) ) i have tired using wifi and 3g. any ideas ?

fyi i have tured my fone off and on, and resprung. still nothing, last installous worked perfectly.

6 catalinuk May 10, 2010 at 9:58 pm

same problem as krusder ( failed to download null ) any good news ? thanks

7 passerby May 11, 2010 at 1:47 am

same as krusder and catalinuk, extremely irritating.

8 ammarlfc May 11, 2010 at 1:48 am

i get some error that says downloaded 18200 bytes and it just stops what do i do
is there a way to downgrade installous

9 lostininstallous May 11, 2010 at 4:57 am

yes, im having the same problem as krusder,passerby and ammarifc, for the last 24hrs. Before that i was able to download apps fine. I'm using 3.1.3 Apple update and Installous v3.1.1

10 lostininstallous May 11, 2010 at 4:59 am

sorry, mistake…not having same issues as ammarifc…but downloads just say null..

11 Snipesalot May 11, 2010 at 9:35 am

my error is that i download it and it shows up in download menu then i install it it says complete then i go to my desktop and it is not there. I have already downloaded my one reall app. Email me the solution as i wont be able to find this website again. Electric.vomit@yahoo.com

12 amandafrenzel May 11, 2010 at 3:09 pm

I don't have any problems with downloading until i get to install it, it say install complete but I can't find the app on my home page! I've done everything! HELP!

13 loki1664 May 12, 2010 at 1:23 am

(freetext_1 at hotmail dot com) – Solution updates appreciated…

Mine is same as krusder and numerous others above, ive tried all of the same steps and it moves into download window as if its gonna start downloading, but advises same “(failed to download (null))” error.

I have even tried reinstalling installous in view that it may have been a bad install, but that doesnt even re-download now, instead i get an error saying “POSIX: Connection Refused”

Any help would be greatly appreciated…

If i come across a solution, Ill post an update..

14 barryborris May 12, 2010 at 3:36 am

Hackulo.us is down so can't update. I have been using 2.5.2 for a good while and it has been good.

Really want 3.1.1 though :D

Could anyone upload the .deb file and post the link so i could download it? Cheers

15 jj May 21, 2010 at 1:18 am

Releasing Installous 3.0 for the firmware 3.0 but not releasing the bugfixes that are on Installous 3.1 (available only for firmware 3.1) is not nice.

16 Eric May 26, 2010 at 2:15 pm

i using installous 3.1.8 on iphone 3GS 3.1.3 but today it prompt me permission denied when download.

17 John May 29, 2010 at 10:27 am

yo when i try to install my app, Civilization Revolution, it says bash script failed. So then i switched to the Native thing, it loads for awhile(not even downloads) and then it crashes. Can anyone help??

18 Kyle May 30, 2010 at 6:55 am

My problem with Installous is that When I download big apps.. say.. X2 Soccer 2010 (whatever its called) I downloaded it somewhere around 150MB when it was finished I installed it. It shows up on my springboard.. (sometimes after a 2nd install) then I click it… to open it.. and it starts to open… then closes automatically.. and goes right back to my spring board… is there a way to fix this?

so.. in other words.. the app starts to open.. then closes… every time I do it.. with some big apps.. so far haven't had any probs with smaller apps.

if you can tell me anything email me please… navyfighterkidd@hotmail.com

Thanks.

Kyle.

19 Zaid June 1, 2010 at 9:58 pm

every time i try to download installous it says broken pipe http://apt.saurik.com or something, please help ive been trying this forever :(((

20 menoob June 6, 2010 at 1:33 pm

It may be a connection problem to the repository or with the source itself. I just installed the latest Installous 3.1.10 and it works despite an error message during the installation. Keep on trying and If you encounter an error during installation, just ignore and hopefully you still get a functioning Installous icon.

21 menoob June 6, 2010 at 1:38 pm

This normally happens to some apps downloaded from Apptrackr. It has also happened to me. The cracked apps submitted to Apptrackr don''t undergo quality control so install at your risk. You can try and install another one from the list.

22 menoob June 6, 2010 at 1:39 pm

Apps submitted to Apptrackr may or may not work. There's no guarantee. Try and install from another user or download source.

23 menoob June 6, 2010 at 1:40 pm

Could be connection problems. Keep on trying. I just installed the latest 3.1.10.

24 Treyu June 8, 2010 at 12:43 am

I also have this problem. I can't install it, it says the same Zaid posted. Please any fix incoming?

25 Kevguitar59 June 12, 2010 at 10:55 am

even though i completely install the app, the icon doesnt show up on the springboard. free apps worked though. help

26 PMC June 21, 2010 at 12:05 pm

Hi,

I installed the new installous version but just before that i installed a game from the older version. Ever since the cracked app icons are not showing on my spring board. Any comments?

27 Mazda Rx7 July 1, 2010 at 12:23 am

i can not update to new installous is it that i have to jailbreck my phone to new firmware

28 Bxjames144 July 9, 2010 at 6:21 pm

oh all the problems… lol… my problem is that whenever i download big apps, in the middle of the download installous crashes and on the download menu it shows the app download as completed when it hasn't fully downloaded the entire app. how do i fix this problem… email me at bxjames144@yahoo.com please. thank you

29 Irish IPhoners July 20, 2010 at 8:31 am

After i install most apps when i click on them in the springboard they start and stop straight away. is there any way to fix these apps?

30 Lily August 5, 2010 at 4:37 pm

Cydia is giving me a hard time. It gives me a 'Size Mismatch' on everything I try to download. Any tips on how to fix this?

31 Playrfilter2004 August 6, 2010 at 8:15 pm

I TRY TO UPDATE SOME APPS FROM INSTAULLOUS; but now they all conected to Apple itune store and that tells me that its a crack version andi have to by a goodversion from itune, pls hel

32 neyuq August 26, 2010 at 5:04 am

i have the 2.03 verison. i am trying to upgrade it. when trying to do so, i am prompt with a note that says: the requested modifications cannot be applied due to the required dependencies or cnflicts that cannot be automatically found or fixed.
can anyone please help me with my problems?

33 Wraith September 6, 2010 at 11:47 am

People I need some help so I hope you can see this and reply ASAP.

I have installous 3.2.5 and although it seems to work just perfect when I finish downloading an app and go to install it, it pops me up a message saying “Error Domain=NSPOSI..”

after a quick search I found that this problem is supposedly solved by typing in this command line in mobile terminal

chown -R mobile:mobile /var/mobile/documents/installous/downloads

however it doesn’t seem to recognise the destination after /var/mobile, popping up a message saying “destination not found” or smthg… Of course it does exist but… maybe it is locked?

and yes I did enter su root and password (also changed mine for hack attempts).

anyone having a solution either directly for the installous problem I have, or the command line… please respond… Ive wasted about 3 hours on this trying to get it work and what really pisses me off is that I am not a complete noob on technology… will appreciate any help. Thanks

34 Caspar September 11, 2010 at 5:09 pm

I have the same problem…
I have an iphone 2g, which one do u have?

35 Mikeandike September 20, 2010 at 12:22 am

Same problem here, I have an iPhone 4 32GB’s running 4.0.1….installous was running great for about a month and then all of a sudden it started “caching all applications” EVERY single time I opened it.

Also, after I downloaded an .ipa and went to install it I would receive error “error domain=nsposi”, also if I looked at the updates section of installous it would show me all of my relevant updated ipa’s, however if I tapped on another section and then returned back to updates the section would be blank.

Someone recommend I run this “chown -R mobile:mobile /var/mobile/Documents/Installous/Downloads/” (without quotes) but I received an error saying the directory couldn’t be found.

36 andim September 21, 2010 at 1:05 pm

worked for me…thx mike ive been looking for a solution long time

37 Drew Martell October 10, 2010 at 3:30 am

Thanks, worked for me as well.

38 Drew Martell October 10, 2010 at 3:30 am

Thanks, worked for me as well.

39 hunter250 October 14, 2010 at 11:21 pm

Worked for me too. Thanks! Hope you figure out the solution to your own problem soon.

40 Hazclats October 17, 2010 at 6:47 am

size mismatch?im on 4.1 and jalbroke with limera1n mac

41 Georges Manson October 22, 2010 at 1:21 pm

respect the case and it’s ok for this

“chown -R mobile:mobile /var/mobile/Documents/Installous/Downloads/”

42 nnChesterin October 23, 2010 at 2:10 am

Worked for me!!

43 guest October 24, 2010 at 5:12 am

i have the same problem, i download and install but it doesnt show up plz help and my installous doesnt have dirty or clean mode, why?

44 Aingram7 October 25, 2010 at 3:49 am

im having the same problem some of you have. i install apps but then when i open the apps they just close and nothing happens.. is there a way to fix this? please help me! thanks!!

45 Wcameron October 28, 2010 at 7:24 pm

Apps downloaded by installous are being picked up by the “app store” and its trying to update them.
I then got a new TOS from the “app store” (Itunes) and it has some pretty agrressive language in there about cracked or illegally downloaded apps. AppSynch doesn’t seem to be working!!!!

46 yuzh3n November 16, 2010 at 3:27 am

chown -R mobile:mobile /var/mobile/Documents/Installous/Downloads/

47 IMDTF November 17, 2010 at 8:55 pm

make sure the command is entered exactly as show, its case sensitive

48 Jhafaj November 23, 2010 at 3:33 am

asshole

49 deksta December 1, 2010 at 12:44 pm

I had the same problem, drove me nuts for ages, then what i did was downloaded the deb file for installous and used ifunbox to do an autoinstall through cydia on a restart. i then went onto cydia and downloaded the appsync from hackulous then restarted the phone and all was good with the world.