How to Sync your iPhone to a New computer without deleting your iPhone Apps

by Eric Pena on September 1, 2010

Post image for How to Sync your iPhone to a New computer without deleting your iPhone Apps

I have been asked a few times by friends how to sync their iPhones to another (or a new) computer without having iTunes delete the apps they already have on the iPhone. Well, the answer is quite simple really.

Connect your iPhone to the new computer

SInce you are connecting your iPhone to the computer for the first time, iTunes will ask you to authorize the computer. You are only allowed to authorize your iPhone to 5 different computers. Here’s what happens when I connect my iPhone to a PC for the first time and launch iTunes:

iTunes computer authorization

So all you have to do is go to the iTunes menu, click on Store and then Authorize Computer.

Now (using iTunes on a Mac as an example), right-click on the iPhone on the left pane of iTunes and click on Transfer Purchases.

Transfer Purchases

Your iPhone apps will now be copied over to the iTunes library.

Copy apps to iTunes

You’re now done!

If you wish, you can then sync your iPhone Contacts, Calendars, Mail Accounts, Bookmarks and Notes to the new computer. Select your device in iTunes and click on the Info tab. Select the appropriate checkboxes you wish to sync (Contacts, Mail, etc.).

If your computer is new, make sure you DO NOT replace the information on your iPhone by unselecting the checkboxes in the Advanced box.

Sync Info

Click on Sync.

I hope this helps!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

{ 48 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Tony September 11, 2010 at 11:25 am

Thanks, just found this, exactly what I was looking for. Works a treat.

2 Yamyinner September 13, 2010 at 2:06 am
3 noodenmichel October 22, 2010 at 8:33 am

Thanks for your sharing.It is useful.

4 Ruslana2003 October 24, 2010 at 10:20 am

but what to do If all contacts were deleted when i connected to the new computer, how to recover it???

5 Lightbutheavy November 3, 2010 at 7:38 am

This is such a great piece of information. Thanks for this men!

6 Online College Courses November 3, 2010 at 7:39 am

I love more information, great help.

7 Wandering Jasmine November 6, 2010 at 2:31 am

i always love how we can snyc iphone to a new computer or any computer for that matter :)

8 Reg Collado November 8, 2010 at 3:43 am

Hello,

I am looking for decent bloggers who could give positive reviews to our more than 125 restaurant partners here in Metro Manila. I fully understand the category/genre of your blog site although I hope you have some time to discuss this campaign with me.

Sincerely,

Reg L. Collado
Marketing Manager
Quick Delivery
quickdeliverymanager5@gmail.com
0927-918-1004
219-4004

9 Abdullah Ashour November 19, 2010 at 9:43 pm

I have tried this but didn’t work.
My ipod touch is jailbroken 4.1 and I have tried to transfer purchases but it deletes most of them.

10 Win December 1, 2010 at 9:46 am

The best way is to use an iPhone to computer transfer program to copy all the files from iPhone to your new computer first b4 sync.I personally use Cucusoft iPad/iPhone/iPod to Computer Transfer.It helps me to transfer my songs/videos/photos/playlists etc from iPhone to my new computer directly and safely. It works well for me.
Free download it at: http://www.ipodtocomputercopy.com/ipodconverter/ipod-itouch-iphone-transfer.html

Hope it helps.

11 Anonymous December 23, 2010 at 3:13 pm

It is easily backup and transfer iPhone files,including transfer iPhone songs;transfer iPhone videos; backup iPhone photos,transfer iPhone SMS;backup iPhone call list, backup iPhone contacts and backup iPhone books(you purchased via iBook Store) to computer. And even enable your iPhone as a removable hard disk.

Free to use in: http://hotdownloads.com/trialware/download/Download_iPhoneToolKits_reg.exe?item=18286-5&affiliate=406676

12 Anonymous December 28, 2010 at 1:29 pm

Good idea!

13 FED UP WITH ITUNES January 18, 2011 at 9:53 am

This was super easy. Thank you. Why have Apple made ITunes so NOT user friendly. I have spent hours reading to get my Iphone 4 info transferred to my new laptop. It cost me $20 to get MY OWN music & photos across. Heads up Apple – the public have had enough!!!!!!

14 Dardow40 February 1, 2011 at 11:18 pm

No – not all apps will transfer, so I remain in the position of losing some of my apps off my phone…. Sems to be free ones, but nonetheless, not all of them will be tranferred. Is there anything else I need to check?

15 psyrob February 3, 2011 at 4:44 am

Dude, this was excellent…I wasted two days on my own and then sorting thru other posts elsewhere to find this answer. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you…and I +1 the comment that iTunes is SOOOOO not user friendly

16 Pamelakt February 14, 2011 at 7:37 pm

PLEASE can someone help me?! I have a new laptop. I have copied my itunes music from my old laptop onto a new external hardrive that I bought. I can get it onto my new laptop – but I can’t then drag it down to my ipod icon because it says it isn’t the original. I have authorised the computer. I just do not know what I am meant to do short of spending hours spinning all my old cd’;s into the new laptop. Its a complete joke how complicated itunes is!!!!

17 Anonymous February 23, 2011 at 4:39 pm

Backup all apple’s files including your favorite songs,videos,photos,playlists and podcasts .With this useful shareware,it is easy to recover lost or missing music or backup and restore all of your files in iPod/iPhone/iTouch. If you are a MAC fans, this shareware is good for you to keep your iPod/iPhone safe.
Free to use in:

18 Anonymous February 23, 2011 at 4:40 pm

Share Apple fans a ultimate backup & recovery tool to backup apple’s(iPhone/iTouch/iPod/itunes,ect) files

Easily copy off apple’s(iPhone/iTouch/iPod/itunes,ect) (SMS message&contact)music, podcasts, videos, playlists, playcounts, ratings and put them back into iTunes.

Free to use in:

19 pills to get pregnant February 24, 2011 at 4:18 am

This week’s apps are a classic gory fighting game and an arcade basketball remake that might already be one of my favorite games of 2011. The graphics look great on both the iPhone 4 Retina display and the iPad. Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 for iPhone (99 …

20 Feliciapy March 13, 2011 at 4:38 am

hi,itunes only allow to authorize 5 pcs and what happen if i have reformat my pc more than 5 times? Will i be allow to do the following steps?

21 shanbule March 13, 2011 at 8:59 am

For you to backup iPhone contacts.You can use iTunes. But you can’t edit them after backup,and you can’t make a password to protect your privacy after your transfer iphone contacts to computer or laptop.
You can see the guide on Apple official website:

How to backup the iPhone contact and contact’s photo to computer?

There is another way for you to backup iPhone contacts and SMS at the same time to computer as . txt or .csv file. With iPhone Contacts Backup. If you backup iPhone contacts to PC as .csv. Then you can opern it with excel and edit it. or restore it to Outlook or restore to new iPhone when necessary.

Download and install the following:
Cucusoft iPhone Tool Kits (Backup iphone SMS message&contact or other files to computer)

iMacsoft iPhone to Mac Transfer(Backup iphone SMS message&contact or other files to Mac)
Free to use in: http://www.regnow.com/softsell/visitor.cgi?affiliate=406676&action=site&vendor=21335&ref=%20http://www.imacsoft.com/downloads/m-iphone-to-mac-transfer.dmg

Tansee iPhone Transfer Contact(Backup iphone contact to computer, edit them after backup and make a password to protect your privacy)
Free to use in: http://hotdownloads.com/trialware/download/Download_tanseeiphonecontact_.exe?item=13181-12&affiliate=406676

Cucusoft iPad/iPhone/iPod to Computer Transfer (Transfer all iPad/iPhone/iPod files to Computer)
Free to use in: http://hotdownloads.com/trialware/download/Download_iPodToComputer_reg.exe?item=18286-1&affiliate=406676

Get more iphone SMS and contact backup software in: http://www.mustsoftware.com

22 Yash March 15, 2011 at 10:49 am

I can!!!

23 Pep April 2, 2011 at 5:09 pm

Hi there,

I have recently just got a new mac, first one of my life. am trying to transfer all the apps from my iphone. i have followed what you’ve showed on the above. First authorized this computer and transfer purchases. But it doesn’t work. can you please help me?!

Thanks
Pep

24 Anonymous April 7, 2011 at 11:18 am
25 Pep April 9, 2011 at 4:03 am

Oh thank you very much :)

26 Pep April 9, 2011 at 6:51 pm

i actually tried.. i can copy the backup files to my new mac.. but i don’t see all the apps and data are transfered to the new itune.. :( it’s driving me crazy.!!
can anyone help please?

27 Pep April 9, 2011 at 6:51 pm

can anyone help please?

28 Anonymous April 10, 2011 at 5:44 am

Did you log into your account?I haven’t tried the procedure in the link I posted – my Macbook pro isn’t here yet.But if it doesn’t work, man … I will have quite a bit of work to do. ><

29 tim spear April 11, 2011 at 11:10 am

thanks for making this page, it was alot of help!

30 Halonix May 22, 2011 at 2:38 pm

Is there a version of this for macs?

31 Kaninky June 2, 2011 at 4:32 pm

I just got a new mac and when trying to synchronise my iPhone, I cannot synch my applications, the format is different on the iTunes (I have four fixed app on the bottom, and iTunes on the new computer has only 3). I wouldn´t like to get rid of the four app, but I would like to synch the app in the future and not to have to get back to my old computer

Note on the old computer I had 10.2.2 (14) and on the new one 10.2.2. (12) but it doesn´t find any updates.

32 Etats July 26, 2011 at 9:54 am

In fact, you can use an iphone to computer transfer program to help.I personally use Cucusoft iPad/iPhone/iPod to Computer Transfer.It helps me to transfer my songs/videos/photos/playlists etc from iphoneto my computer directly and safely.It works well for me.
Free download it at:  http://www.ipodtocomputercopy.com/ipodconverter/ipod-itouch-iphone-transfer.html

For Mac users:  ttp://www.ipodtocomputercopy.com/iphoneconverter/iphone-to-computer-for-mac.html

It even has step-by-step guide on the whole process.
Hope it helps.

33 bruce565 July 28, 2011 at 9:05 pm

HELP!!!! I followed the above steps exactly and when I tried to transfer my purchases it says ” computer is not authorized” while I did authorize it 10 times!! I even bought something in itunes with my account. what do I do???

34 bruce565 July 28, 2011 at 11:04 pm

Problem solved I put in the wrong account # (I have 2).

35 bruce565 July 28, 2011 at 11:04 pm

Problem solved I put in the wrong account # (I have 2).

36 Maccolar August 24, 2011 at 2:25 pm

I know this iPhone transfer can help you backup your iPhone files to computer.

37 jhwl September 16, 2011 at 2:10 pm

How can i transfer apps that i got from another itunes account to my personal itunes in my computer? hope u ca help me.. tnx.

38 Asdfasdfasfd September 28, 2011 at 9:18 am

In fact, this iPhone transfer for Mac can help you do that task without losing any apps on iPhone.

39 Vinlhed October 5, 2011 at 10:38 pm

help! while attempting to hook my iphone up to a new laptop, by following the stupid instructions in itunes, something went wrong and I had to “restore” my iphone. I have lost all my music (and more) from my iphone! How can I get it back? Im pissed!!!

40 Anonymous October 7, 2011 at 6:24 am

when trying to connect my iPhone to a new laptop, after which the stupid instructions on iTunes, something has gone wrong, and I had to “reset” my iphone. I lost all the music (and more) for my iPhone! How can I get it back? Im pissed!
adult sex game

41 RedReed October 12, 2011 at 2:51 pm

I hate that Apple can be so fantastic with so many other features but with things like this AND homesharing, they make it a living hell!

42 Henges October 13, 2011 at 10:02 am

Transfer songs Music, Movie, Photo, ePub, PDF, Audiobook, Voice Memo, Camera Roll (iOS 4 above), Podcast, SMS, Contacts and TV Show from iPhone to Windows computer

Tool you need:iMacsoft iPod to PC Transfer – fast backup and copy Music, Movie, Photo, ePub, PDF, Audiobook, Voice Memo, Camera Roll (iOS 4 above), Podcast, SMS, Contacts and TV Show from iPod/iPhone to PC or iTunes.

Free Download it now from: http://www.regnow.com/softsell/visitor.cgi?affiliate=93306&action=site&vendor=21335&ref=http://www.dvd-video-soft.com/download/m-ipod-to-pc-transfer-93306.exe

If you are Mac user, you can download this iPod to Mac Transfer to help from: http://www.dvd-video-soft.com/macconverter/mac-ipod-to-ipod-computer-itunes-transfer.html

43 Misspee October 16, 2011 at 1:46 pm

THE CUCUSOFT software sucks! it is totally missleading.  For starters it is not free, when it does a trial for you to see how the transfers work it neglects to tell you that it can only be used on jailbroken phones for transfer of contacts! I unfortunatley bought this product to
back up and when I tried to back up my contacts it all of suddent tells me that it only will do that function with jailbroken phones!

44 apple tech support October 20, 2011 at 6:16 am

Mouse Mechanics are one of the few
local-area support companies that offers Apple computer repair and
support services. Mouse Mechanics have 12 years of deep mac tech
support. 6,200 hours of training on various mac software and hardware
support. Their technicians team can help you with any hardware and
software problems.

45 Ross February 24, 2012 at 7:09 pm

To transfer purchases from your iPhone to a Mac:
Press the control button on your keyboard before you right click on the iPhone on the left pane of the iTunes. After getting really frustrated with everyones suggestions I stopped and had a few beers. Whilst stuffing around I decided to press a few buttons and bingo.

46 Rox April 4, 2012 at 11:26 am

Thanks! This is exactly what I was looking for. Many other solutions out there are much more complicated.

47 Maccolar April 6, 2012 at 11:50 pm

Thank you for the share, it’s useful for me. And this converter for mac will help you a lot.

48 Ellen March 1, 2013 at 9:15 am

thanks for sharing, this is really helpful.
you might also like to see the actual price of iphone 5 hope this also will help.